Private Contractors Recruitment

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Private Contractors Recruitment

Post  Pathfinder on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:01 pm

I was wondering would there be "Private Contractors" (Mercenaries) you can hire to aid your forces.
Maybe they can grant a little bonus to your Special Forces Guys.

Maybe there can be a building you can capture and recruit them from there.

Just a little extra idea.
Pathfinder
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Private Contractors Recruitment

Post  Snake on Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:30 pm

During the Rebel / Militia / Insurgent conception phase we did discussed the possibility of possibly including Private Military Contractors (specially since the trend is for the Private market to keep growing). I'm afraid I can't go further in the subject at the moment though since we haven't touched the PMC subject for a while but chances are that these guys will appear somehow (if they do appear, contrary to the basic Rebels, these guys will be armed to the teeth with modern gear and armament).

Indeed, one of the first suggestions was to have a special building from which mercs could be "contracted" (and eventually deployed, probably by having an adjacent airfield/helipad), one idea which we talked about was the "Mercenary Outpost" concept from Act of War: High Treason, chances are, if included, they might be deployed from a special building (which, after capture and starting a "contract" would eventually call them via air deployment).

General of the Army [Administrator]

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Tusker2Zero on Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:15 pm

Pathfinder wrote:I was wondering would there be "Private Contractors" (Mercenaries) you can hire to aid your forces.
Maybe they can grant a little bonus to your Special Forces Guys.

Just a little extra idea.
I really like that idea. Good one Pathfinder. Thumbs Up!

It would make for an excellent tech structure to capture.

Snake wrote:During the Rebel / Militia / Insurgent conception phase we did discussed the possibility of possibly including Private Military Contractors (specially since the trend is for the Private market to keep growing). I'm afraid I can't go further in the subject at the moment though since we haven't touched the PMC subject for a while but chances are that these guys will appear somehow (if they do appear, contrary to the basic Rebels, these guys will be armed to the teeth with modern gear and armament).

Indeed, one of the first suggestions was to have a special building from which mercs could be "contracted" (and eventually deployed, probably by having an adjacent airfield/helipad), one idea which we talked about was the "Mercenary Outpost" concept from Act of War: High Treason, chances are, if included, they might be deployed from a special building (which, after capture and starting a "contract" would eventually call them via air deployment).
Since they will be armed to the teeth, and well trained (I assume), then it should definitely be more expensive to purchase or acquire a 'contract'.

Gonna get me some!

Tusker2Zero
General [Moderator]
General [Moderator]

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake on Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Definitely, well armed Contractors and/or higher grade vehicles would cost more in this case.
In addition, with the PMC's we can get even more unit variety in game (player controllable units).

If included, there might be some catches though (like possibly needing to unlock higher class mercenaries via general points), fortunately the class system might work perfectly in this case as well Cool!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac on Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:51 pm

could we perhaps have a cameo appearance from Mattias Nilson? (from the Mercenary games)
lol!
he'd be massively armed
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead on Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:29 pm

I pictured Green Beret's Recruiting civilians or Guerillas to do some fighting. If the mob logic was used with masses of civilian populations like you might find in major cities, it would make a good resource for the recruitment of soldiers. But you could also use the same population of unrecruited civilians as a kind of collateral where if some one were to call an airstrike on populated area killing alot of civilians, then the UN gets envolved to help thwart off the war criminal country (or a loss in general points). And yet another reason to make a kind of spy unit. If you mix him in a civilian population, sort of in a big old game of where is waldo, with only a small visible difference between the spy unit (Or Green Beret unit) and other surrounding civilians, you will need more precise forces such as soldiers with their boots on the ground hunting instead of a laser guided bombings. This would be a reason to clear out buildings and check who is who, if there is a multitude of civilians or possibly recruit some of the buildings tenants. (It would make flashbangs alot more important)
I really like those concepts. If battle points could be affected negatively by civilian casualties that would be an added bonus.

Chemical Warfare might become an option after you have a few countries hunting your army down because of lack of descression. And that adds other inclusion's as chem suits and bomb suits. These things I think would really ad to the mod.
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake on Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 pm

Pyrospastiac wrote:could we perhaps have a cameo appearance from Mattias Nilson? (from the Mercenary games)
lol!
he'd be massively armed

lol! lol! lol! Interesting idea, me and Marc are also avid Mercenaries players (love The Playground of Destruction mode ), if we include PMC's in TAOW then there's aways a great chance for funny cameos (from games and movies ).

I'm still to check the new Mercenaries 2 though (the PS3 version).

Jarhead wrote:I pictured Green Beret's Recruiting civilians or Guerillas to do some fighting. If the mob logic was used with masses of civilian populations like you might find in major cities, it would make a good resource for the recruitment of soldiers. But you could also use the same population of unrecruited civilians as a kind of collateral where if some one were to call an airstrike on populated area killing alot of civilians, then the UN gets envolved to help thwart off the war criminal country (or a loss in general points). And yet another reason to make a kind of spy unit. If you mix him in a civilian population, sort of in a big old game of where is waldo, with only a small visible difference between the spy unit (Or Green Beret unit) and other surrounding civilians, you will need more precise forces such as soldiers with their boots on the ground hunting instead of a laser guided bombings. This would be a reason to clear out buildings and check who is who, if there is a multitude of civilians or possibly recruit some of the buildings tenants. (It would make flashbangs alot more important)
I really like those concepts. If battle points could be affected negatively by civilian casualties that would be an added bonus.

Definitely Thumbs Up!, we want to add penalties for civilian casualties (to avoid players literally erasing cities with bombers or using other "unorthodox" methods Laughing ).

Some of the concepts you suggested will be sort of included in separate game modes and campaign/special missions, sadly I'm afraid it might not be possible to include many of those in a single mission (some adaptations for special maps and exceptions may be possible though, but on a "standard" skirmish map it may be impossible due the standard map script limitations).

About flashbangs, their inclusion in TAOW depend on the POW System (which is associated with the less lethal weapons though this is just a highly experimental concept for Zero Hour and might not make it).

Jarhead wrote:Chemical Warfare might become an option after you have a few countries hunting your army down because of lack of descression. And that adds other inclusion's as chem suits and bomb suits. These things I think would really ad to the mod.

If special gear like bomb suits is included then it may appear as a sort of a higher class infantry unit upgrade (like on engineers possibly).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  AgustaBE on Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:52 pm

would be cool if flashbangs are included
and the collatteral damage concept is awesome cheers Thumbs Up! Rock on!

greetz lol!

2nd Lieutenant
2nd Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pathfinder on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:00 pm

Flash bangs are great if you dont want collateral damage

Seeing how unrealistic it was in ZH (flashbangs dont kill people EA)
Pathfinder
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake on Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:36 pm

Indeed, they should have included something like a 40mm grenade (launched from an underslung grenade launcher like the M203) instead of deadly flashbangs.

However I suspect those flashbangs might had something to do with the POW system which was to be included in ZH scratch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pyrospastiac on Sat May 02, 2009 8:39 pm

hmmm, maybe we should include superweapons in TAOW.

...cause a flashbang bombing run from a b52 could level an entire base (or rather, TAOW variant of a base with afew defensive structures and a runway) because we all know flashbangs have seismic capabilities and the flash is so blinding that even buildings can't see what's going on and collapse as a result! lol!

as for the POW system EA removed, i can see it would make for some interesting concepts and gameplay styles if included in TAOW. but then again, it's supposed to be more of a war sim than a diplomacy sim. so there's also good reason for EA and TAOW to leave it out.

we'll definatley have to explore and improve it further than just "POWs reveal troop and base locations" i could just call in a satelite scan or UAV for that. POWs will have to do much more if we're to go forward with them.
Pyrospastiac
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake on Sun May 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Pyrospastiac wrote:hmmm, maybe we should include superweapons in TAOW.

...cause a flashbang bombing run from a b52 could level an entire base (or rather, TAOW variant of a base with afew defensive structures and a runway) because we all know flashbangs have seismic capabilities and the flash is so blinding that even buildings can't see what's going on and collapse as a result! lol!

LOL! lol!

Who needs loud and messy high explosive or frag grenades when we have the deadly... FLASHBANGS

Pyrospastiac wrote:as for the POW system EA removed, i can see it would make for some interesting concepts and gameplay styles if included in TAOW. but then again, it's supposed to be more of a war sim than a diplomacy sim. so there's also good reason for EA and TAOW to leave it out.

we'll definatley have to explore and improve it further than just "POWs reveal troop and base locations" i could just call in a satelite scan or UAV for that. POWs will have to do much more if we're to go forward with them.

Absolutely!
Including a whole new POW system for just a couple of features is kinda "strange" so to speak , so if we do manage to create it we'll create several effects to make it an effective system.

A game from the same "generation" as Zero Hour which included a POW system to great effect was Act of War (Direct Action and High Treason). In those games we could capture enemy soldiers and upon capture we receive a monetary "compensation" (this effect can be further upgraded like the opponent losing money for each one of their captured units) in addition to some extra effects (if we have a sort of a prison we can locally "keep" the POW's in order to get gradual income of cash depending on their number.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead on Sun May 03, 2009 5:33 pm

The POW system is very very interesting. I hope it works out. It would be a cool addition to the TAOW.
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake on Tue May 05, 2009 5:28 am

Yeah, plus we already made a big list of stuff we would like to include in case we somehow manage to create a functional POW system.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Jarhead on Wed May 06, 2009 1:36 am

If you could make command "people" instead of just command vehicles, then wouldn't it be possible to make a soldier act like a base so that if he were taken over you could atleast see what the other side is seeing. Kind of equal to a satellite upgrade? Or unlock in the other sides technology? The only other thing I can think of is having hidden caches they can lead you to. And talking about caches that would make a really good building "upgrade" for this mod. Being able to gain things by taking buildings. Like upgrades for one of your guys or something. Anything to envoke the need to storm buildings. Like a guillie suit for a soldier that normally wouldn't have one, allowing them to move stealth but very slowly. Or a even the ability to lay a mine or too after exploring a building. Spread "upgrades" out at random through out a city and watch 2 (or more) armies collide. Much like a U.N. box might upgrade a units veteran status, or a junk pile might upgrade a AA-Truck is a better way to put it. Just another idea.

Or if you could make a kind of Yuri sort of unit, without the cheesy animation, able to take over a hacker type unit that might make the monetary compensation/POW thing work. But I'm sure of coarse they didn't put that kind of logic in ZH and hackers by themselves are a little unrealistic on the battlefield.

Even if the POW system dosent work, atleast we can say that TAOW takes no prisoners. Right?

pale
Jarhead
1st Lieutenant
1st Lieutenant

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Snake on Fri May 08, 2009 4:05 pm

Definitely Twisted Evil

There are various possible methods of taking over a unit (thus effectively turning it into a "POW") however I'd say that for a smooth and more realistic system a very complex and a sort of a "mixed" code is required, it may require a lot of "trial and error" before we get something appropriated (since this is a very complex logic it'll need to be deeply researched on a later point).

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top